Friday, October 14, 2016

Cedar Communities Presentation

I had the pleasure of receiving a phone call from one of my readers a few weeks ago. Jan said she read my first book, published in 2011, "Nick, The Journey of a Lifetime". What an absolute thrill to hear from her. She explained that she loved the book so much because she had a similar past that she encouraged her book club to read it. She asked if I would be willing to visit with them and discuss the book and my writing journey. We set a date and had several follow-up conversations to prepare for the day's event.

It was a beautiful day to take a drive to Cedar Communities in West Bend. The book club members had reserved their lecture hall for the afternoon's event. They provided me with a microphone, which I've never used before but loved it because everyone could hear me, a podium, and a table to set up my display boards, photos and books.

The presentation began at 3:00. I was asked to speak for an hour to their book club, two guest book clubs, and a memoir group looking for tips and advice - about 35 audience members. That hour sped by as I explained the steps I used to writing and publishing my first book, a peek into my second book, and my advice to those wishing to write their memoirs.

I was given a tour of their facility, which had more of a hotel feel than apartment living. I saw an enormous pool and eight-person hot tub, a satisfying arts and craft center, a huge barn that offers resident woodworkers with enough space and equipment to feel like they're in woodworkers heaven, an attractive restaurant, a gift shop and store and three libraries.

After the tour, we enjoyed an fabulous dinner at the restaurant surrounded by the colors of fall from the birch trees outside nearby windows. Our conversation drifted from their childhood years to the electronic devices of today. We laughed, we ate good food, and we enjoyed each others' company and when dusk settled in I was reluctantly on my way home.

Presenting at book clubs, organizations, associations or book stores and gift shops never gets old. It's a privilege to talk about my work and an appreciated opportunity to give back to others seeking the same writing path.

Until next time, let us enjoy this life we are blessed to live,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pie Baking Contest

I had the pleasure of entering my very first pie baking contest this July 4th holiday weekend. What a thrill that was. The judges lifted t...