Monday, June 30, 2014

Ten Things I Love About Summer



I wouldn’t consider myself a fan of summer. I realize by saying this, I place myself in a minority. Instead, I’m a lover of all seasons, including Wisconsin winters, but autumn is my absolute. As we begin our journey through summer, I realized, I do appreciate what the season brings so my outlook is softening.

Waking to the sound of the birds signing and listening to the chatter of crickets at night.

Throwing a pizza on the grill for supper because the grill has become the main heating source for all cooking.

Eating ice cream without an ounce of guilt just because it’s a hot day.

Listening to the sound of the wind rustling through the trees in the forest that outlines our backyard.

Drinking an ice cold beer while sitting in a big yellow lawn chair.

Skinny dipping and feeling 14 all over again.

The first bite into a homegrown tomato grown in our own yard.

Feeling the wind against my cheeks while riding a bike.

Strolling through a farmer’s market on a Saturday morning with my best girlfriend.

Walking around the fairs and eating all the food I would normally never touch.
Maybe I'm a fan of summer after all. What is it about summer that you enjoy most?

1 comment:

  1. I, like you, prefer autumn. As for summer, I love the plethora of fresh fruit and vegetables, my garden full of flowers, hummingbirds, butterflies, and the twinkle of fireflies on a warm night. I love sitting out on the porch at dusk and watching the bats swoop over the pond and the rumble of a summer storm. Biting into a warm tomatoes from the vine and being serenaded to sleep by the chirp of crickets are favorites too. And lastly, the feel of the wind in my face during a balmy sail on Lake Michigan. You're right - summer's not so bad at all!

    ReplyDelete

Pie Baking Contest

I had the pleasure of entering my very first pie baking contest this July 4th holiday weekend. What a thrill that was. The judges lifted t...