Monday, February 11, 2013

The Semicolon

I like the semicolon. Unfortunately, you don't see it used to much today. Those unfamiliar with the rules for its use, simply rephrase their sentences, and end up with the same type of sentence over and over again. Ideally, you should strive for variety in your sentence structure, and punctuation can help you do that. 
Last week, we talked about sentences using a comma between two independent clauses joined by a conjunction. This week, I'd like you to look at sentences that omit a conjunction and use a semicolon instead.

1) He walked through the doorway; she was waiting for him across the room.

2) Call me in the morning; I'll give you my decision then.

In the weeks ahead, we'll return to more opportunities for semicolons.
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pie Baking Contest

I had the pleasure of entering my very first pie baking contest this July 4th holiday weekend. What a thrill that was. The judges lifted t...