Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Revisiting the RMS Titanic


Have you noticed the extra attention the media is providing as we approach the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic? Since my research is surrounding this glorious ship for my novelette, “A Titanic Tale,” I can’t help but feel an acquired sense of fascination and wonder.

As I read the details of the ship and watch the documentaries, my respect and admiration grows. My imagination is ignited. I can now see myself walking past the second- and third-class gangways to reach first-class entry to board the vessel.
I am greeted by a gentleman who wears a crisp white uniform. He welcomes me aboard and directs me to the lift that we carry me to B deck, where my stateroom is located. As I open the doors to my suite, my eyes are drawn to the large bouquet of flowers and small basket of fruit sitting on a round table. A stunning bathroom to my right, awaits, it includes a deep tub and a wash sink with hot and cold water.
I remove my shoes and bury my toes into the carpeted walk, never experiencing carpet before. A ceiling fan whispers to me quietly from above while an electric fireplace waits patiently for use. A writing desk, how appropriate, is tucked in the corner beside a blue sofa and matching armchairs.
For a moment, I’m startled, the warning whistle blows steady, alerting all visitors to leave the ship for departure is soon upon us. I quickly return my shoes to my feet and take the lift up to A deck and walk the teak floors on this promenade deck, intended only for first-class. I pass the Verandah CafĂ© and Palm Court filled with white wicker and ferns. I hear the engines churn and see the white foamy water bubbling below. The tugs are taking us out into the open water. We are at sea this Wednesday, April 10, 1912. 

Inspired by No Moon by Irene N. Watts, Photograph: Google


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pie Baking Contest

I had the pleasure of entering my very first pie baking contest this July 4th holiday weekend. What a thrill that was. The judges lifted t...